Do Not Give These Toxic Foods to Your Dog
When your sweet canine friend is by your feet begging for a bite of your dinner, it can be tempting to slip him something. After all, how much harm can a little taste really do? When it comes to giving your dog human food, there are times when sharing can be very dangerous. If you want to share from time to time, then it is important to know which foods are toxic to dogs. Even if you never allow your dog to eat human food, you need to know the list of toxic foods for dogs in case of accidental ingestion. Below is a list of five common foods that are toxic to dogs.
Of all the foods toxic to dogs chocolate, is the most well-known. Chocolate contains substances called methylxanthines. When a dog ingests food containing methylxanthines it can lead to a number of negative side effects, including vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, excessive thirst, excessive urination, tremors, seizures, and in some cases, death. The level of methylxanthines in chocolate varies depending on the type, but it is best to avoid giving your dog any type of chocolate.
Grapes and raisins are also on the list of toxic foods for dogs. Ingestion of grapes and/or raisins can lead to kidney failure in dogs. The exact substance in grapes and raisins that leads to this reaction is unknown so it is best to avoid giving grapes or raisins to your dog altogether.
If your dog ingests macadamia nuts there are a number of potential side effects. These include vomiting, tremors, weakness, and depression. The symptoms can last from 12 to 48 hours but are not typically life threatening.
Food and beverages containing alcohol are toxic for dogs. The potential side effects of alcohol ingestion are very serious. They can include difficulty breathing, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, abnormal blood acidity, decreased coordination, coma, and potentially death. If you ever suspect that your dog has accidentally ingested alcohol, call your veterinarian right away.
Salty foods like pretzels, chips, and popcorn may seem like a harmless snack to share with your dog, but the reality is that consuming a lot of salt can be very dangerous for your canine friend. The side effects your dog may experience from too much salt include excessive thirst, excessive urination, sodium ion poisoning, diarrhea, tremors, depression, vomiting, seizures, elevated body temperature, and even death. A few too many chips can lead to very serious problems for your dog.
This list of foods toxic to dogs includes five common foods that you need to diligently keep away from your dog, but it is not an exhaustive list. There are other types of food that, when ingested in large amounts, that can cause serious problems as well. If you are concerned about something your dog ate, the safest course of action is to give your veterinarian a call right away.